January 15, 2013
You just got home from a long day of work and picked up your kids from their after-school activities. You still have to put dinner on the table and make sure their homework gets done. You check the day’s mail and you see a bill from People’s Energy…$450 for this month’s gas bill! After the shock wears off you check the thermostat – set to 76 degrees fahrenheit. You think back on the past few weeks and think about the 45 minute hot showers everyone in your family is taking. Suddenly remorse sets in and you are stuck with this bill you have to pay. We’ve all been there and it’s a mistake we can learn from…here are a few tips to avoid overpaying for gas and electric during the winter months:
1. Set your thermostat around 68 degrees and turn it down even lower before you go to sleep.
Leaving the thermostat set in the 70′s while you are sleeping will increase your gas bill a ton. Instead, set it closer to 65 degrees and wrap yourself in blankets and snuggle up on your loved one to save on energy costs.
2. Turn your water heater’s thermostat down to medium and keep your showers under 10 minutes
3. Install window plastic to eliminate cold drafts. Check out this video to learn how to install plastic properly:
4. Wash your clothes in cold water
5. Turn off your computer and video game systems when not using them
6. Use energy-efficient lightbulbs
We hope this helps! Also check out People’s Energy’s and ComEd’s tips on saving: